Saturday, June 13, 2009

Matryoshka.

Since childhood, I have had a fascination with matryoshkas, or nesting dolls as we call them in English . I was probably introduced to them by Mr. Rogers or something and I have wanted a set ever since.

Matryoshkas date from 1890, and are said to have been inspired by souvenir dolls from Japan. However, the concept of nested objects was familiar in Russia, having been applied to carved wooden apples and Easter Eggs; the first Fabergé Egg, in 1885, had a nesting of egg, yolk, hen, and chick (yes I also have a fascination with Fabergé, but I would never want one).
Recently my coworker went back to Russia for work, and brought me back my very own matryoshka (isn't it pretty?)! Imagine how excited I was!

Thanks Osanna!
Note: History provided by Wikipedia: Matryoshka

No comments:

Post a Comment